Friday, April 30, 2010

Test Results Are In...

We got a call from our geneticist while we were at dinner last night, and she told us the blood test results had come back.  Our suspicions were finally 100% confirmed.  We have an official diagnosis: Wolf has Osteogenesis Imperfecta.  (Speaking of Eagles songs, I kept singing to myself the first line from Don Henley's "Heart of the Matter" for the rest of dinner: "I got a call today I didn't want to hear, but I knew that it would come...")

When we got the news, it was kind of a weird emotional situation.  On the one hand, it reinforced the already prevalent mindset that Wyatt will always suffer from this and his childhood will be constantly interrupted by doctor visits, testing, and treatments.  OI is a serious condition, and it's tough to think that a lot of the things that our other two boys do now (jumping on furniture, climbing all over everything, tackling me and each other) will be off limits for Wolf.  On the other hand, we now know that what we're dealing with can be treated effectively.  We know that there are support groups that can help us, and there are families dealing with the same issues that are going to change our lives.  Things could be a LOT worse. 

So the emotion was first a bit of disappointment and sadness, but that turned into confidence and determination.  We have God on our side, as well as a veritable army of prayer warriors who have graciously taken it upon themselves to lift us up spiritually.  Our family is not merely going to survive this.  We are going to thrive and get stronger.  And with help from the Lord, our testimony will touch hearts and affect lives.  I imagine that God is going to work amazing things through our little Wolf, and no brittle bone disease is going to hold Him back.  Our God is stronger than that.

As for the diagnosis, we will be meeting with the doctor to discuss specifics sometime within the next week or so.  There were, however, a couple of basic things we determined from the phone call.  First, is that the mutated gene was a rare mutation (even for OI) that is normally associated with type IV OI.  I won't go into the details of how that differs from the other types, but you can see that here, if you're interested.  Let's just say we're glad it's not type II (which is what the prenatal diagnosis indicated it might be - type II is almost always lethal in infants) and even type III is more severe.  Type IV is a bit tricky because it covers the wide range between type I, which is mild and for the most part only involves a marginally higher bone fracture rate, and type III, which involves severe, frequent bone fractures and very limited growth potential.

So Wolf could wind up anywhere between those two extremes.  We'll know more as he grows and develops.  The doctor we spoke to at Cedars Sinai suggested that the experts on OI (of which she is one) are considering tossing out the types entirely, as most cases of OI are unique, making it difficult and uninformative to group them into broad categories.  But for now, type IV is all we know about the severity of Wyatt's condition.

Second, the good part of this is that we can move forward quickly on a treatment plan.  Right now, the idea is to get Wolf started on Pamidronate sometime in the middle of May.  The first infusion will be given over a long period, maybe several days, to see how he reacts.  If he reacts well, he'll get infusions every three months for as long as they seem to be helping, and they should only take a couple hours.

Bad news and good.  Good news and bad.  That's okay, though, because God can handle it all.  Wolf is getting stronger every day.  All this does is make every little milestone he achieves, like lifting his head for 20 seconds straight, that much more of a miracle to celebrate.  And celebrate we will!


16 comments:

  1. Hi - I came across your blog because I do a daily Google alert search for OI. I have Type 1 OI, as does my 10-year-old daughter (I have two other kids who don't have OI). I've written a number of resources for the OI Foundation and currently do freelance writing on a variety of things, including motherhood, faith and OI. I've enjoyed reading your family's story and am glad to see you're in touch with the OI Foundation--they are a great resource and a great bunch of people. Your son is beautiful and I wish you and your family the very best.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I came across your blog through my friend Ellen above! I'm mom to 3 girls, my youngest Sonya has OI type 3 and is considered more moderate than severe. I encourage you to join the yahoo support group for OI families at www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/OIparents/ They are a wonderful resource too! Sometimes having a bunch of parents who have been there done that is more helpful than a doctors advice! Congratulations on your beautiful son! The OI road has been quite bumpy for us but it is a journey that I have embraced with my daughter! Feel free to visit our blog too, we mostly post about Sonya's journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Expect a list of OI support here. My son also has type IV severe. He does have breaks- but nothing is off limits to him.. Jamie decides what Jaime does. Its the way our life is and we love that we get to live it together! You can visit me on facebook if you like. Or take a look at our website.. to see James
    Shellie Gruenwald

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I came across your blog through a member of my OIfamily......I am mother to 3 yr old Troy who has OI type 3. Pamidronate was the best thing for him and has brought him a long way! There is an amazing group of OIfamilies online that were so very important in Troy's care and where he is today. if it weren't for these othe OIparents, i don't know where Troy would be today. Its truly an amazing group of people. And the kids are absolutely AMAZING, as your wolf is! Our OI journey has been a journey thats for sure, but is sure has been a blessed journey with all the wonderful people I've met....and mostly seeing little T's smile everyday.Troy is an extremely happy and now active 3 yr old, thanks to PAM and rods! Please feel free to find us on FB under Aimee Strickland, seeing the other kids and what they are doing today really helped me alot when first coming to terms with T's OI! I wish you the best with you Wolf man!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I came across your blog thru Melissa who I met also on the yahoo group and facebook.
    My girl eden who is five has OI 4 as well, we just got a final diagnosis this past dec its been a long 5 years of unknown.
    we are currently at the hospital she finally had rodding surgery yesterday (after having 3 femur breaks) with the F- D rods from canada and will be doing the next leg on may 27.
    if you have a facebook add me ayalond@gmail.com
    Thanks for sharing ur story. aya

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello My name is Sandra, First of all I love your sons name. Second I agree w/ your doc. He may have been labeled w/ a certain type but time will tell. My daughter Evelyn has type 3 severe recovering from rodding surgery, already attemting to stand oye evay! She is 30 mnths old today and has had 29 fractures including surgery. We did not know what she had until 3 hrs after she was born. Thank god for being breach who knows what could have happened. Evelyn has had mostly femur fractures, If you have any questions or just need to reach out you can contact me at sandra.face@hotmail.com, Remember to breath and enjoy what you can when you can! Softess biggest hugs from Evelyn AND I !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I'm a friend of Ellen's who saw her post to her blog. I don't have OI, but having known Ellen and her daughter Leah from birth I just want to extend you my prayers and moral support.

    What's been absolutely amazing to me is that in the time I've known Ellen and became aware of OI, I've also witnessed medical progress. Her daughter was diagnosed when an infant but thanks to the new treatments has led a childhood far more physically normal than Ellen did. Leah rides bikes and horses and while she has had some awful, awful breaks, is a bright, engaged, observant little girl. Our little playgroup's kids seemed to understand from a very early age that when we told them to be gentle with Leah they had to be gentle. I know your son's exact condition is different from Ellen and Leah's, but I really believe that your little guy will have a good childhood and will not be mired in pain thanks to the advances that have been made.

    I will pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, was sent a link to your blog,,welcome to the group of people blessed with extraordinary kids.
    I am a mother of 29 year old with type 3/4 and I am raising her two OI kids and another we adopted from Russia.. My kids are courageous, strong, tough, keep getting back up and fighting after every surgery and every fracture.. They are my heros,,they are funny, and interesting and I am sure that Wolf will be the same...
    If you every need help or have a question, even in the middle of the night, don't hestitate to call... Biggest Hugs, Tami Helms 540-597-9203

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for stopping by and offering your kind words and prayers! We definitely appreciate it. We have posted on the OI Parents yahoo group and received some help through that. I'm sure we'll be posting on there again as more questions arise, which they undoubtedly will soon. My wife, Julia, has a Facebook profile and will look you all up. (Yeah, yeah, I'm behind the times, I know...I just "facebook" vicariously through her.)

    We'll keep you posted on our little boy and how things are going. Thanks for visiting! I love reading comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI, I am an OI Type III/IV adult who wanted to say WELCOME to the OI family. First, OI folks, and kids in particular, are charming, smart, engaging and articulate people and a joy to be around. (not bragging, just my humble observation) I want you to know that whatever Wyatt's diagnosis in the OI spectrum, he has a great future to do whatever he wants in the future. Yup, his early years will have some pain and some setbacks but if you don't let that upset too much of your life, he'll take it in stride and enjoy the time between! I don't know what part of the country you are in but there are support/family peer groups all over and you might enjoy meeting some older kids, teens and adults so you can see how successful our "OI Family" is. I know many OI adults who have great jobs, run their own living situation and are married and have families. Just want you to know that the doc's often predict the worse but as parents, you can think optimistically. Another warm welcome, Karen B kbrtmyr AT mac DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a mom to a 14 year old daughter with type III OI. Doctors often paint a worst case scenario picture with certain types of OI. Let me assure after 14 years, that is not all doom and gloom. My daughter is smart, funny, insightful, and involved in Student Council, Chorus, and other clubs at school. You can only be limited by what you allow yourself to be limited by.

    I encourage you to join the OI Parents group on Yahoo. You will find many parents with children who have OI defying the odds.

    Wanda Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too found your blog through my OIFamily.My late husband had Type II/III very severe.Leonard lead a very full life as leader/advocate in disability comHemunity.We adopted our son Nigel who has moderate OI from India in 2001.If you google Leonard Roscoe there are some articles about his life.Leonard wasn't expected to live 48hours.He lived 35 1/2 so it's not all bad.He is too cute.

    Renee Peek

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dan and Julia--What a support group you have coming together! I'm impressed. Thanks to all of you for extending your love and prayers. You are a blessing to the friends of Wyatt who are just entering this journey with him.
    Cindy Holbrook

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Daniel, looks like you have all the help you can get. Guess you won't be needing us lowly ATQ fellows anymore :). I'm so happy that a number of people have reached out to you and your family. Prayer can do wonderful things. Take care and you know that your other blog family cares about you and your family and will always be there to give you an outlet to talk sports, life and many other overrated topics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,

    This is Amy, mom to Jonathan. I've emailed with Julia a few times. We live in Irvine and Jonathan is 10 with type IV OI. I usually just say "moderate" but he is type IV. While each kid with OI is different in what they can and can't do...do rule anything out for his future! I remember feeling the same way when Jonathan was born. So uncertain of his future and what he would and wouldn't be able to do. Especially for a boy, where being physical and active is so important. Jonathan is the oldest of 4 boys and is more active than I ever could have imagined. He walks the dog on his own, wrestles with his brothers (and I am usually yelling at him to take it easy), plays touch football with his friends at recess (don't even get me started with that one) and has a happy and charming disposition. He's definitely had his fair share of breaks and surgeries, but he never stops amazing us and those who know him. Hopefully we all can get together sometime. We are actually heading to Omaha this week for an OI Clinic. The docs there are amazing and we go every year (or every other year) for a good check up.

    Congrats on your sweet baby! He's certainly a cutie!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dan/Julia! I just got this blog link from Bryana and have been blessed by the parts of your family's journey that you've shared. It's been years (USC game at the Zuniga's house!) since we've seen you and Julia and you are truly honoring the Lord with your lives and Dave & I will be keeping you all (especially Wolf) in our prayers. I'm confident that God will use all of you mightily as your lovely family grows.
    = Kathy Strozewski

    ReplyDelete